Grains of Paradise was Oddities... (Was RE: [Sca-cooks] Good News from Drakey

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 08:32:20 PDT 2002

>Sounds like melegueta pepper (a.k.a. grains of paradise) to me. The seeds
>are brown, but I have no idea what the pod looks like. And it does have
>kind of a hot taste to it, although not quite as hot as regular black
>pepper.
>
>Margaret

This put me to mind of a conversation I had at the herb shop last Sat.  I
was buying a bunch of stuff and asked for some Grains of Paradise.  They
brought down the jar with only a little in it and said that was all they
had, how much did I want, they haven't been able to get any for a while now.
  I asked about their sources and they deal with several sources all around
the country and beyond and have not been able to get any more Grains for
some time.  Has anyone else had this happening?  Heard about any reasons for
this?  Just curious.

Oh, I have a couple of small boxes about ready to post off.  One to you
Aethelwulf and one to Mel and Mari.  Now if I hadn't of lost that hundred
dollar bill I could afford to post them...
Olwen