[Sca-cooks] Welsh names (fwd)

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 4 08:55:37 PDT 2002

A note of explanation for the attached:  A mystery list I am on has
discussed in the past the books of Rhys Bowen, who writes of a constable
named Evan Evans.  There is also a butcher named Evans in the town, and in
order to keep them straight they are sometimes referred to as
Evans-the-law and Evans-the-meat.  (Apparently this sort of naming trick
is still used in some towns, even when names are not confused.)  Anyway,
the name mentioned sort of seems on topic...

Sandr