[Sca-cooks] Mrs Levy again

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Thu Sep 5 17:29:21 PDT 2002

Clear DayLet me add my 2 cents worth:
Phillipa

>>Including the suggestion that one should bind a thin slice of salt pork around the throat for some ailment,

I don't know what *she* was refering to, but, let me clarify... Jews may own *trief*, they just not supposed to  eat treif. So maybe that pork/throat thing was just an old fashioned non-eaten remedy for something.

>>I think there may be one or two confusing additions of dairy products like
>>cream to what might otherwise be "meat day" dishes.

Perhaps she was a German Jew. Reform Judiasm started in Germany around 1839 I believe. For the longest time (like up until the 1970s) old time Jewish practices were eschewed  (Is that the word I want... put aside, forsaken) Reform Jews happily did not keep kosher, so maybe the recipe came from that,.....

>>Non-Jews might note that a dairy (or at least a non-meat) meal can contain fish.

Kosherly speaking,,, you may have fish at a meat meal if you eat the fish first and then rinse your mouth (some don't do this) and use a clean fork and plate for the fish.
--
[ Clear Day Bkgrd.JPG of type image/jpeg deleted ]