[Sca-cooks] culinary Towering Infernos

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Sep 9 06:23:26 PDT 2002

Well, one feast Rob and I were cooking back in the 80s, it was drizzling,
the rest of the cooking crew never bothered to show up. Nobody there would
even come in to wash dishes.

Large quantity of chickens being cooked over a grill. Just finished turning
over the whole batch [IIRC, 35? of the buggers] judt to hear a resounding
crash coming from the inside partof the kitchen, and turning to go
investigate there started to be flameups under the chicken. Results? the
yell of "Rob, the chickens are on fire. Deal with it!" as I go in to find
that some idiots loose dog has just overturned a very large set of metal
shelves of covered boles of marinated veggies to get to the settling pork
roasts just about ready to go to table. This scattered about a 6 pack-worth
of empty beer bottles [used to bring in various marinade components] broken
bits around the kitchen. This same person PROMISED that little poofter was
the best behaved animal ever and would quietly sit on the ground and not
bother anybody...

Almost decided to do korean dog stuffed with garlic....

Thankfully, the pork was all still well wrapped in foil, and only 1 roast
was lost. I got several fairly annoying cuts scavenging the broken glass off
the ground. It was decided by the Baron that the household table of the
idiot dog owner was the table to go porkless, and that dogs would forever be
banned from going to that specific camping event.
margali
[and then there was that time at Pennsic 25 the cooking geese greas caught
fire...]