[Sca-cooks] Injuries...

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 08:18:13 PDT 2002

>You kidding? I'm a theatre costumer - I practice the gentle, delicate,
>feminine art of sewing...
>
>I've sewn through my thumb, ironed the back of my hand, and hot glued my
>arm. These are only the ones that left scars, though they are no longer
>visible... the hot glue hurt the worst.
>
>We say a show isn't official until someone in the shop bleeds on a
>costume. We get good at removing blood...

Been there, done that, bought the t-tunic.  :)  Along with several really
good lacerations from the seam ripper.  Those blades are SHARP.

Kitchen-wise, they all start to blend together after a while, although after
reading the stories from everyone else on this group, I'm still in the bush
leagues... there's the aforementioned double-boiler incident, some good
scaldings, several incidences of missing eyebrows, and once, after a feast
where I diced 50lb of onions, band-aids on all 10 fingers.

Do you know how long it takes to get the stench of 50lb of onions off your
hands?  With scrub-brushes, stainless steel and lots of pumice soap, it
still took weeks.

And we won't mention the time that Gravity felt the desperate need to remind
me of its power while I was walking across a featureless stretch of
pavement, resulting in a broken arm.

-Gytha "My Own Worst Enemy" Karlsdotter