[Sca-cooks] Sourdough

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 10 14:38:24 PDT 2002

I've never seen this use for juniper berries documented.

The Romans used fermenting grape must as a leaven and the Germanic tribes
took barm from the ale-pot.

The odd conglomerations of things like potato starch, onions, etc. show up
in 18th and 19th Century cookbooks.

Bear

Correct me if I am wrong (which, according to Fergus, I never am :-) ), but
didn't the old Sourdoughs make their original sourdough from the seeds of
the Juniper tree, by mixing them with water, letting it sit a few days and
using that water to mix with the flour. I guess, therefore using the wild
yeasts, common on lots of things.
Gee, from there, I guess you could take and squish the leftover seeds, add
sugar and let it ferment, making gin?
If anyone is up to trying, I have about 500 juniper trees on my property,
here in New Mexico. I'll send you some.
Please, really correct me if I am wrong.
Isabella