[Sca-cooks] Re: Wake-up calls

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 11 07:15:42 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

>Can anyone tell me where I can find an old fashion herald's trumpet.  I've
>been wanting one just to have fun with at wake-up call times.  Got to keep
>the archers in practice.  Aurore

Won't do you much good just to get one.  You have to be REALLY good to
get a 5 note range out of a straight horn.  To do what I think you imagine to
do, you will need at least 3 or 4 horns tuned together to get the range to
play even simple fanfares. 6 to 8 would be more usual.  The pair of trumpeters
you sometimes see in the movies are an impossibility to actually play the
complex fanfares you hear on the soundtracks dubbed in later. Massed  play
is quite necessary.   The copper coloured horns you see in flea markets
are generally junk; the mouthpieces are not made to be played.  Those are
strictly
decorative.    Even the brass ones from Europe you may see in antique stores
will likely need tuning and a new mouthpiece.  Think $80-$100 apiece as an
average price.
Akim

--- Diamond Randall
--- ringofkings at mindspring.com[1]