[Sca-cooks] Yorkshire pudding was RE: british food.

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 06:57:35 PDT 2002

> > Now you all are making me slightly homesick.
Yorkshire pud, I want a GOOD
> > Yorkshire pud.....like my grandmother's NOT my
dad's!
This is one of the things that my friends here love to
be served.  I have been making yorkshire puddings for
years.  The trick is to get the oven hot and to get
the fat in the pan hot before you add the mix.

Recipe for Yorkshire pudding:
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Mix together
4oz all purpose flour
1 egg
10 fl oz milk (1/2 british pint)
Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile add some solid fat to either a 9" pie plate,
about 2 tablespoon,if you want a single large pudding.
 Or a dot of fat, about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to each hole in
a muffin tray (the sheet that holds a dozen muffins).
Use hard white fat.  The best is rendered beef
dripping (the original for this recipe) but you can
substitute crisco.  Put in the oven and allow to get
really hot (at least ten minutes).
Add the batter to the hot fat it should splutter and
start to puff immediately, the faster you do this the
better.  You want to fill the muffin cups about 1/3 of
the way up.  Return to the oven and cook 10 - 15 mins
for the little ones and 30 to 40 mins for the big one.
 They should be risen and golden brown and crispy on
the outside with a hollow almost soft center.

Hope this works.

Helewyse
Brit in America who just ate the last of the marmite
this morning :-(  Time to run to Canada again!