[Sca-cooks] Re: Yorkshire pudding was RE: british food.

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Mon Sep 16 08:16:05 PDT 2002

Helewyse writes:

> This is one of the things that my friends here love to
> be served.  I have been making yorkshire puddings for
> years.  The trick is to get the oven hot and to get
> the fat in the pan hot before you add the mix.

My late stepfather's family has served Yorkshire pudding, made in a
13bymumble glass pan and butter, for breakfast for about 60 years. It's
excellent warm out of the oven with milk, sugar and butter, or sugar,
butter and lemon juice. They call it "Pauling Omelet."

2 c. flour
1/2 c. each milk and water
pinch salt
2 eggs

Start oven at 400, melt butter in pan while mixing ingredients, being
careful not to scorch the butter. beat eggs, beat in milk and water.
whisk in flour and salt. Pour batter into pan, bake at 400 for 20
minutes, turn down heat to 325 and bake for another 15 minutes.

It collapses in the center either just before pulling it out of the oven
or just as it comes out. The crust rises specatularly crusty and crunchy
around the edges of the pan.

ciorstan
(Yes, THAT Pauling)