[Sca-cooks] Calafian Seige Cook-off Challenge

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Tue Sep 17 16:03:47 PDT 2002

At September Potrero War there was an interesting challenge by the Calafian
A&S Officer. Your castle has been under seige, all you have left to cook is
what is in this bag, what are you going to make?
We picked up our ingredients Friday evening, and returned on Saturday with
what it was we had put together. There were 10 teams registered, 9 teams
were issued the ingredient bags.

There were some simply FABULOUS entries.

My team was simple people, so we produced some pretty simple stuff. We're
also not horridly decorous people, so .. well, .. we never even thought
about things for presentation (tablecloths, candlesticks, etc).  We didn't
win any of the prizes/mentions, but we still had a blast. I enjoyed it a
lot, and I'd like to do this again!

Keep in mind that at this war there was _NO_OPEN_FLAMES_. The only fire
things allowed at the park were propane powered appliances. (Smoking was
only allowed inside vehicles).  It was okay though, with daytime temps from
106 - 113 (F), and it did NOT cool off at night, you didn't really want a fire.

The ingredients issued to us in the burlap bag were:
1 Breast of Chicken
½ lb. Salt Pork
2 Eggs
1 stick Butter
1 cup Cheese (Asiago)
½ cup Oil (Olive)
½ cup Red Wine (Gallo Merlot)
½ cup Vinegar (Cider)
½ cup honey
4" Bread (French)
2 cups Flour (½ all purpose, ½ wheat)
1 packet Yeast
2 cups Lentils
½ head of cabbage
1 Onion
1 Leek
1 Turnip (Purple Top)
1 Pear (Bartlett)
1 Lemon
½ cup Currants
1 tbsp Coriander Seed
1 tbsp Whole Cloves
1 piece Whole, Dehydrated Ginger
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp Cardamom Pods
1 tbsp Whole Allspice
1 tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 handful fresh Rosemary
1 handful fresh Thyme
2 fresh Bay leaves

The stuff my team produced:
Lentil Puree from The Medieval Kitchen (Redon, Sabban, Serventi)
Cabbage Chowder from The Medieval Cookbook (Black)
Perys en Composte from Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks (E.E.T.S.)
Sippets (we made it up!!!)--> actually the bread, sliced, spread with
combined butter, asiago, thyme, and rosemary, then browned on a griddle
And from Soup for the Qan, Deboned Chicken Morsels, served over vermicelli
made from scratch (Ok, so it was more like an obese fettucine, cuz it was
made right there)

My team was myself (Maggie MacDonald), Magnus Grehatta, Gillian of
Lynnhaven and Moira MacPherson.