[Sca-cooks] Calafian Seige Cook-off Challenge

Jane/Bj Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 20 15:45:08 PDT 2002

Greetings,

The House of the Blackened Pot won the day.  We made noodles tossed in
cheese and butter, stuffed chicken, Sekanjabin, pickled relish(pear and
turnip), a cabbage pottage, a lentil pottage and ginger bread.

We were told presentation and documentation counted.  I will post our
recipes and documentation, when I get them back.  They are being typed and
put in the Calafian News Letter.

Maggie was right there were many wonderful recipes.  THL Elania took best
presentation, and she had an Lasagna to die for.  Lord Matt and THL Jonathan
Whithart took best dish with a stuffed cabbage that I want to have again,
The Abby came in second.  There were so many really great dishes, but these
two really stuck out in my mind.

The ingredients issued to us in the burlap bag were:
1 Breast of Chicken
½ lb. Salt Pork
2 Eggs
1 stick Butter
1 cup Cheese (Asiago)
½ cup Oil (Olive)
½ cup Red Wine (Gallo Merlot)
½ cup Vinegar (Cider)
½ cup honey
4" Bread (French)
2 cups Flour (½ all purpose, ½ wheat)
1 packet Yeast
2 cups Lentils
½ head of cabbage
1 Onion
1 Leek
1 Turnip (Purple Top)
1 Pear (Bartlett)
1 Lemon
½ cup Currants
1 tbsp Coriander Seed
1 tbsp Whole Cloves
1 piece Whole, Dehydrated Ginger
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp Cardamom Pods
1 tbsp Whole Allspice
1 tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 handful fresh Rosemary
1 handful fresh Thyme
2 fresh Bay leaves

Our team consisted of, Sean Thorvaldson, Avenell Kellogg, Browyn Kellogg,
Tom and Cathy of Dogbery, Keelain of the Glenn, Jana Aoibeall, Marie
Aoibeall, Guioverre Marion of Coe, Agnes of Illford.