[Sca-cooks] Questions about flatbreads

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Sep 17 19:13:05 PDT 2002

Hi, gang.
I'm working on bread recipes for our upcoming Harvest Court, at which
the feast will be based on recipes from the Anonymous Andalusian
Cookbook on His Grace's website. In going through the actual cookbook,
and searching for "bread," I've mostly been coming up with references to
bread or bread crumbs as ingredients, although a few of the recipes give
clear enough instructions for the type of bread used in the recipe for
me to be able to replicate them.
I did notice that sometimes, bread or flour is just bread, or flour, but
at other times it's specifically wheat.  What other grains would they
have likely been using? I'm thinking barley, maybe?
I also played a bit with Google (and will do so again, when I have more
time--I gotta bake cookies for the biz. mtg tonight), and found loads of
modern/ethnic recipes for flat breads.  Some of the more middle-easterny
ones, and some Indian ones (like the recipes for nan....yummmmm!)make
use of yogurt.  Does anyone have any idea of when yogurt started to be
used as an ingredient in bread?
Ideally, I'd like to do 2 breads for the feast...one would be puffier,
and yeasted.  The second would be flatter and thinner, and possibly
unleavened.
I'd very much appreciate any suggestions, as bread-making is something I
enjoy, but am not exactly very good at (if you get the distinction <g>).
thanks,
Maire