[Sca-cooks] OOP: 18th c. chocolate

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 20 21:48:19 PDT 2002

Brandu commented:
> well from what I have read ( no I don't have my sources immediately to hand,
> sorry ) It was not long before the Spanish started adding sugar and cinnamon
> to the chocolate instead of the hot pepper. I think that this was a popular
> drink with the Spanish court by the 1530's. lat me see what I can find for
> references, and I'll report.

This list has discussed the origins of chocolate and chocolate items
on numerous occasions. I seem to remember that the more folks talked
about this the futher back the addition of sugar to chocolate was
found.

For much of the best of this discussion, see this file in the

FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:

chocolate-msg     (65K)  6/25/02    History and description of early chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net