[Sca-cooks] Dearth

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 22 09:59:28 PDT 2002

And while I'm in the OED (same volume), I figured I'd look up this one too.
Mine is an abridged edition (only 13 volumes, published in 1937), and has
what Cindy posted, with a few references.
Christianna

Dearth (snip)
1. Glory (rare). [= ON. dyro.] (ME. only.)
2. Dearness - 1602.
3. A condition in which food is scare and dear; earler, a famine in ME.

	2. 'The dearth and the pryce thairof' 1632
	3. 'In the tyme of d. and famine' Bk of Com. Prayer.
	   'There is no grete dearth...of women' CAXTON. Hence 'Dearth' v. to make
dear; to cause a d. of or in anything.