[Sca-cooks] Mongolian Goulash

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Sep 24 09:48:33 PDT 2002

Well, the bstirma is in the big freezer, top shelf i think.

we have ramen and lasagne noodles, and i think some capellini. Rummage in
the kitchen until you find something, or take the semolina out of the
freezer and make your own.

Don't go nuts and make too much, if you need something from the store, look
in the fancy can on my computer desk, I think there are still a few shekels
there.

margali

the quote starts here:
Tell you what, think I'll ask Gene and Paul what they think- I'll go find
the 2 X 4 and see what it says about spices on the package. One of the
discussions we've been having, includes the fact that Asians in the field,
whether Mongols, Chinese, or whatever, did make comments about getting
whatever and throwing it all in the pot, as opposed to the Europeans who
usually seemed to use meat and pot herbs. Paul's looking for cites for me,
in some of the material he didn't publish.

> It does make sense that it is turkish field rats made into a local dish.
> margali
> ya wanna dig into the beef lump and see if it works that way? We do need
> dinner tonight ;-)

Let me see what I can find out. I could definitely use a good pot of
something for dinner- I'm getting joint aches, and a stewy sort of thing
tends to warm me down to the bones.

What do you have in the way of generic pasta? That seems to be what was used
by Mongols, pre-potatoes.

Paul had told me:

"Ya, the foods in question are mostly sopa secas...and it seems to have been
the Turks, according to Perry, who were really responsible for the
popularity of such dishes all over the place."

So, let us investigate, and play ;-)

Phlip