[Sca-cooks] Re: Taunting a Maire

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 25 08:38:20 PDT 2002

Maire wrote:
Actually, Gorgeous, my ears are quite fine.  I simply don't know
Canadians from very many provinces (just the lower parts of Saskatchewan
and Alberta), and I *was* specifying "the Canadians I know and their
friends," and not _everyone_ south of the border. Since I'm only a few
hours south of the US/Canadian border (in Montana), it's always seemed
to me to be more of a regional accent? There are some very slight
differences in vowels, and vocabulary, but we ("my" Canadians and I)
sound more alike than you and I probably do.>>

I have waited tables in Florida for 20 yrs now, and I know a bit about Canadians! It seems to me that the ones with a strong accent and the funny vowels (you know, hoose for house, aboot for about, etc.) come from the East Coast, around Toronto way, and right along the US border. The accent is similar to the ones in Michigan and Wisconsin, although the Americans seem to have a broader, more nasal short A sound. We recently got a cook from British Columbia who had hardly any accent at all. I commented on it to him, and he said that the accent was stronger on the east coast than the west. Maybe it is a leftover from all the Nordic types who settled in the Great White North of the United States?

Aislinn

"Of the Good in you I can speak, but not of the Evil.  For what is Evil but Good -  tortured by its own hunger and thirst?  When Good is hungry, it seeks food , even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters." - Kahlil Gibran