[Sca-cooks] Sheep's Milk Yogurt

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 25 14:19:21 PDT 2002

So, i went to get the cold Tofu out of the fridge, but all i have
right now is "Soft", which is better with a hot thin sauce of palm
sugar, ginger, soy sauce, and vinegar, as i had it from the pushcart
vendor in Jakarta. And there was the sheep's milk yogurt...

What can i say, i can't resist something i haven't tried...

I was in Whole Foods a couple days ago (ok, Friday) and noticed a new product:
Sheep's Milk Yogurt

"Produced with care at:
Old Chatham Sheepherding Company
155 Shaker Museum Road
Old Chatham NY 12136
(518) 794-7733

http://www.blacksheepcheese.com

So, i'm eating it. It has no additives, other than the various
baccilli that make yogurt. It has a very thin layer of "hard" and not
very creamy cream on top.

The flavor, well, at first, since it's quite cold, it didn't seem
much different from cow's milk yogurt. However, after a couple forks
full (ok, i was too lazy to wash a spoon) the distinctive flavor of
sheep's milk came through - if you've had a mild aged sheep's milk
cheese you'll know it, except in the yogurt it's much milder. It
isn't unpleasant nor is it strong like most of the goat's milk stuff
i've had.

I'd buy it again, except that my little 6 oz container cost almost as
much as a quart of Pavel's yogurt (cow's milk) (i don't remember the
exact price, but it was around $2.39) !!!

Would it be useful for making cheese, other than a sort of cream
cheese or laban/lebni?

Oh, and i'll be taking a cheese making class this weekend at a nearby
Barony's A&S weekend...

Anahita
who vowed to not do any feasts for a year, and has already agreed to
do two (around here we don't bid on feasts. We either volunteer or
are asked to do them - i was asked).