[Sca-cooks] Anchovies- OOP

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 25 16:46:26 PDT 2002

I'm glad to see there are a fair number of people here who eat and enjoy
anchovies- I'm another one, although I tend to indulge in them in limitted
quantities, because of the salt.

For those of you who'd probably like them, if they just weren't so strong,
have you tried Jansson's Temptation?

It's a very simple potato dish, which has the advantage of allowing you a
bit of the flavor of anchovies, without the intense salt and fish rush that
an anchovy on a pizza will give you.

It's very simple- Layered, thin-sliced  onions and potatoes  (with or
without skin -use good judgement), bits of chopped anchovies scattered in
among the layers, cover with cream, and pepper to taste. A bit of butter
dotted on top, and some breadcrumbs will fancy it up a bit. Cook at about
400, for about 45 minutes to an hour- this is one that will hold well, for a
while.

Those of you who mentioned that you only like anchovies in Worcestershire
Sauce, might like them this way- it's a very mellow dish, a step beyond
scalloped potatoes- excellent comfort food for a chilly evening.

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,