[Sca-cooks] Quail Eggs and saffron

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 25 23:05:18 PDT 2002

Serena da Riva asked:
> There were several interesting items that may be of use in feast prep but I
> had some questions & I thought some of the peoples here could give guidance.
> They had canned whole quail eggs. They appeared to be whole, boiled, shelled
> eggs. A standard size veggie can cost 1.50. There were several varieties,
> most had etc...on the ingredients list, but there was one that said: Quail
> Eggs, Water, and that was it. What say you on possibilities on this?

We have talked about using quail eggs before. If you are really masochistic
you could try making Scotch Eggs with them. :-)
Check this file for quail egg info:

eggs-msg         (139K)  2/ 7/02    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-msg.html
> The other thing that they had was a huge package of Saffron (the size of a
> sandwich bag stuffed to full) for .99. Now I looked at it and it seemed to
> have an awful lot of non red bits in it. The ingredients list said Saffron
> Flowers. Any way this is useable or do you think there is too much dietrus
> to be good?
Saffron "flowers" not Saffron "Stamens". Not the best stuff. Might

work for some stuff.

saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by Tony Hill.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/saffron-msg.html

saffron-msg       (53K) 12/21/99    Types of saffron. period uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/seeds-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net