[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Smoked Salt??? & "Viking" restaurant...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 26 10:28:13 PDT 2002

Hullo, the list!

During a seemingly eternal discussion on the East Kingdom list, one
which I confess has me dozing, mostly, someone raised this question,
and I thought someone like Nanna might have some info.

The subject of a smoked salt was raised, and it occurred to me that
drying salt over a smoky fire (similar to the original process of
drying malt over smoky fires, part of what makes Scotch whisky kewl),
might be a natural extension of trying to obtain salt from the sea
without the shallows and intense sunlight of, say, the coasts of
India. Sources like Plat and Digby speak of processing salt for table
use by drying it in ovens, I seem to recall, and in some cases simply
burning out impurities, so in the cool humidity of Northern Europe,
the idea of smoked salt makes some degree of sense. Does anybody have
any more information on this?

I did a web search (based on the terms mentioned in the EK List post)
for "Viking smoked salt", and Google sent me to this, apparently the
menu of some kind of "Viking" restaurant. I glanced at it, and
thought it might interest people here. It did not strike me as an
easy way to have a totally accurate period experience without doing
the work, but in any case, here's the URL:

http://www.valhal-restaurant.dk/menuuk_2002_n.html

for what it's worth...

Thanks fer your time!

Adamantius