[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Smoked Salt??? & "Viking" restaurant...

Thu Sep 26 12:26:17 PDT 2002

Fascinating.  Most of what I've seen on the subject of salt manufacture has
salt mined (as in the Salzkammergut) or evaporated from brine either by
boiling or by solar heating.  I don't recall any references to "smoked
salt."

The earliest reference I have been able to find for "smoked salt" is
information for using Old Hickory Smoked Salt from around 1900.  It was
meant for salt curing meat and giving it a smoked flavor without having to
resort to a smoke house.

You might check Mark Kurlansky's SALT: A World History.  I haven't read it
yet, so it may have references I haven't seen.

Bear