[Sca-cooks] New Zealand measurements?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 2 05:31:17 PDT 2002

Also sprach Christina Nevin:
>Help!  I'm about to bake some jumbals from a recipe on a NZ SCA
>website.  I can handle the grams and millilitres, but the sugar and
>flour are measured in cups.  Would this be the same cup that is
>used in U.S. cooking, or something different?
>
>Never really thought about it before, but it would be UK cups, not US (which
>I'm not sure what they are), so 250 ml and the gram equivalents.

That's just about an ounce above an American cup, in fluid measure or
volume (250 / 28 = ~8.92 ounces), as opposed to the
8-fluid-ounce-or-dry-volume-equivalent American cup.

>This site is often useful as it differentiates between UK and US
>measurements:
>http://www.efunda.com/units

I note that the site is not designed for unstructured browsing,
though. In the middle of putting it through its paces by looking for
equivalents to a quarter (I never brew, do I?) and wondering just
what a L (cubed) is, and thinking there couldn't be such a thing as a
cubic litre (turned out to be a cubic Lambert, whatever that is), it
told me my unsubscribed trial use had expired.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER