[Sca-cooks] hare vs rabbit

Aurore Aurore at hot.rr.com
Mon Sep 2 05:47:33 PDT 2002

> Actually, as far as I remember, rabbits and hares are not actually in the
> same family/genus. I could be wrong. Can anyone help out there?
> Hare is gamey, and distinctly non-chicken like. Rabbit (which is one of my
> favorite meats, much to my fluffy-bunny-loving twin's horror) has more of
> long stringy texture to it and varies about three steps (in my opinion)
from
> chicken (i.e. if turkey varies two). YMMV. :-)
> ciao
> Lucrezia

Your twin and my mother would get along about killing rabbits.  But she
would also get along with you about cooking rabbits.  It's that rabbit last
breath before her father killed the rabbits or cleaning that she never
liked.  With me I had trouble with my chickens.  Could raise and care for
them til the day it's time to mass kill, clean, and freeze.  I even had no
trouble when cooking the frozen chickens, just didn't like killing them or
cleaning them.  Each to his own, til dinner then that oven golden critter
looks darn good.  Aurore