[Sca-cooks] Cone sugar

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 2 17:25:58 PDT 2002

Phillipa commented:
> Cooking ImplementsI am looking at the Jos Townsend page. Some of you may be=
>  familiar with his goods.  Down on this page is cone sugar which some of yo=
> u might be interested in,.  However it has molasases in it which is not per=
> iod, I think....

Very similar sugar cones are available, much cheaper, from many hispanic

grocery stores. I suspect that the period sugar cones also had some
molasses in them as well, among other reasons to keep them together.
Probably not quite as much as the modern versions, though.

You can find previous discussion on these in one of these files
in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:

sugar-msg        (107K)  6/13/01    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.

I can get these at various of my regular grocery stores, as well.

Maybe we can work out some barter if anyone is interested. :-)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net