Oddities... (Was RE: [Sca-cooks] Good News from Drakey

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Sep 3 05:54:13 PDT 2002

Drakey wrote:
> It's from Digby's apothocary's manuscript.
>
> Take a fig and soak in brandy and herbs (I can't remember which ones).
> Flame the fig and let it burn for a pretty time.  Blow it out and apply
> it to the affected area 'for as long as the lord shall bear it'...
>
> Brings tears to my eyes...

I recently found a good one (in Elinor Fettiplace's receipt book, the
complete version).  For a bloody nose, you make a mixture of clay and
rosewater and some other stuff, and put it on the sufferer's testicles.
When it warms to body temperature, you remove it and apply a new batch,
and repeat until the nose stops bleeding.  It doesn't say what to do if
the person with the bloody nose is a woman.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/