[Sca-cooks] Steak

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 13:30:23 PDT 2002

>>Anyway, I'm also sorry to hear what you did to a perfectly
>>good steak~!  You must like soggy, well done steak.
>
>Um...excuse me? Where did you get "soggy, well done" from
>my description? I put some olive oil in a very hot cast iron
>skillet. Added garlic and let it brown slightly. Then put
>a steak seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper and kosher
>salt into the pan to brown the top and bottom. Added mushrooms
>around the steak so they would roast and fry/roast. Then
>put it into a 400 degree F. oven for about six minutes.
>
>Removed the skillet, the mushrooms were just beginning to
>brown and soak up the juices and placed steak and mushrooms
>on a plate to rest. The steak was barely medium rare and
>the mushrooms had achieved that earthy flavor. The drippings
>had recieved the fat from the meat as well as the garlic/olive
>oil base and the mushrooms had absorbed some of this. I then
>deglazed the pan with beer, added toasted breadcrumbs and a
>splash of red wine vinegar. The very thick sauce was arranged
>around the plate for dipping, not poured over the top.
>
>I usually broil my steaks but this just appealed to me yesterday.
>The outside wasn't "crunchy" but neither was it soggy. It was
>"steak-y".
>
>>Olwen
>
>Gunthar

In my honest opinion, steak does not need to be cooked in oil.  There is
enough fat in a steak to cook itself properly.  Putting a steak in oil is
redundant.  If you add mushrooms to the pan the water from them letches out.
  You are then braising your meat.  That would lead me to the soggy part.
If you are braising your steak on top of the stove and then sticking it in
the oven for another 5 or 6 minutes, well, that would be so overdone for me,
that would lead me to the well or overdone part.

Just one woman's opinion.  Anyway, if you give my style a go, let me know
what you think.
Olwen who likes the crispy outside and the tender inside