[Sca-cooks] Catalan and Italian Recipe Questions

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 4 06:23:39 PDT 2002

Since you are cooking the melon juice/pulp, I'd almost guess that you
ought to go with the best tasting once it's heated.
Then there's the cost factor. Davidson says that the variety mentioned
by Al Awam (d.1145) of Andalusia is not recognized as a variety grown
today. Melons are one of those plants that interbreed and don't stay
true from generation to generation, so it's probable that in the past
centuries that we've lost the original plants through natural
hybridization.

I can't recall any problems with the second recipe, but it's been a
number of years since I made it.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway