[Sca-cooks] An old Jewish cook book

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 4 09:54:16 PDT 2002

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
>   From: http://www.koshertoday.com/history/1869%20to%201900.htm
>
>   1871
>   Esther Jacobs Levy, author of the "Jewish Cookery Book", the first
>American kosher cookbook, written in 1871, was probably an English
>Jew living in Philadelphia. Mrs. Levy's recipes come from the
>different backgrounds of Jewry -- English, German, Sephardic, and
>American. Local dandelion greens are used in salads, and corn is
>cooked in a fritter resembling oysters, a popular nineteenth-century
>dish. In the 1870's "The New York Times" published one of
>   the book's recipes for worsht, or sausage and rice, without
>acknowledging the source.

Including the suggestion that one should bind a thin slice of salt
pork around the throat for some ailment, which surprised me. I think
there may be one or two confusing additions of dairy products like
cream to what might otherwise be "meat day" dishes. I think the key,
for Mrs. Levy, barring the salt pork example, which I find just plain
weird, is that she's assuming certain dishes will be served for
breakfast (which seems always to be dairy), lunch or dinner
(generally meat), and supper (generally dairy). Non-Jews might note
that a dairy (or at least a non-meat) meal can contain fish. At least
that's been my experience.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER