[Sca-cooks] mushrooms

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 4 09:59:39 PDT 2002

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:

>I take a tiny paring knife and "peel" the mushrooms. This gets all
>the crud off without having to subject the 'shrooms to water. Is
>this a no-no?
>Phillipa

Not at all. I like mushrooms with peels, or without, but many older
cookbooks advocate peeling (not to mention decorative fluting at the
same time, in some cases). This could be a throwback to mild toxicity
in some mushrooms in earlier [pre-factory] days; peeling and
parboiling is a common solution to mild (non-fatal) toxicity in
certain wild mushrooms.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER