[Sca-cooks] Steak

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 4 12:23:08 PDT 2002

"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
> >Phlip wrote:
> >
> >>  Anybody realize that pan-frying things (steak, chops, chicken, fish) is the
> >>  basis for the Cajun blackening made so popular by Paul Prudhomme? I think
> >>  blackening is an excellent variant.
> >
> >I thought that "blackening" was Prudhomme's attempt to save face
> >after he burned
> >the catfish one day. That's not a mistake, it's a new trend!  Poot,
> >I don't like
> >burnt food even if it's on purpose.  Don't much like Starbuck's coffee for the
> >same reason.
>
> Ah, a soulmate on the Starbucks issue.

I think we are soulmates on many issues actually.  We must meet in person one day.

> Re blackening, however, it really isn't burnt. The object of the game
> is to toast and caramelize the herb/spice mix seasoning without
> actually burning it (not unlike some curries in that regard, and of
> course this is also the culture that gave us the red roux, which is
> also a dark, reddish-brown through caramelization). The fish, or
> steak, or whatever, doesn't even really touch the pan when it's
> properly done.

Properly done, ah, there's the rub, if you'll pardon the pun.
Well that makes sense as far as it goes.  Not everyone who
attempts this trick is a Prudhomme, or even an Adamantius.

I'm about to go back on the low-carb regimen, so there's
a fair amount of steak in my future, but not much sugar,
caramelized or otherwise.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net