Blackening- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Steak

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 4 18:47:34 PDT 2002

> Properly done, ah, there's the rub, if you'll pardon the pun.
> Well that makes sense as far as it goes.  Not everyone who
> attempts this trick is a Prudhomme, or even an Adamantius.

Or even a Phlip ;-) It's an interesting technique, but it does require
practice and a good blower in your kitchen, or else being done outside. What
irritates me is the (professional, presumably) cooks at restaurants who
advertise the technique, and either try to feed you burned food, or are TOO
careful, and send it out bronzed. When I first heard of it, I figured it was
just up my alley, with my love for spicy foods, and I was surprised that the
hot flavor was as mild and sweet as it was. But, then, as with any new
texhnique, I read the instructions and tried it until I got it right. Just
one of those thangs, I guess.

> I'm about to go back on the low-carb regimen, so there's
> a fair amount of steak in my future, but not much sugar,
> caramelized or otherwise.

Don't think there's enough sugar in the crust of a properly blackened piece
of meat to interfere with your diet- just enough to give a mild sweet/hot
flavor.

Phlip