Blackening... (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Steak

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Sep 4 13:23:12 PDT 2002

At 11:24 AM 9/4/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Phlip wrote:
>
> > Anybody realize that pan-frying things (steak, chops, chicken, fish) is the
> > basis for the Cajun blackening made so popular by Paul Prudhomme? I think
> > blackening is an excellent variant.
>
>I thought that "blackening" was Prudhomme's attempt to save face after he
>burned
>the catfish one day. That's not a mistake, it's a new trend!  Poot, I
>don't like
>burnt food even if it's on purpose.  Don't much like Starbuck's coffee for the
>same reason.

That's a common misconception, that blackened means burnt.  It
doesn't...  Properly done, blackened food is really awesome, and comes as
much from the spice mix covering the item as from the hot pan itself.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry