[Sca-cooks] John Barleycorn Menu

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 4 13:54:09 PDT 2002

At 04:33 PM 9/4/02 -0400, you wrote:

>Ok, I'm a nasty, evil horrible bitch, because I don't see for even one
>moment what the problem is with saying 'I suspect most of it is not
>documentatble, though more-or-less period-oid' if you don't think the cook
>does his/her cooking by redacting period written recipes.

Gee- guess that means I'm a NEHB too. Oh well. I've been called worse.
Quite frankly, cooks _know_ when they aren't using period recipes. Some of
them care, someof them have specific reasons for using non-period recipes
or techniques. And some don't care and don't see the point. They are the
ones I would like to change.

>... other than the irritating term 'period-oid' -- can't the period recipe
>machos come up with a less 80's term for 'not redacted from a period
>recipe'? Please? I use 'medieval-style' sometimes but I don't think it
>really means what one is trying to convey.

I suppose I usually call it 'medievalish'- there's a flair that marks it
not modern (ingredients, presentation, whatever) but no extant recipes that
it resembles or can be derived from.

>-- Jadwiga Sittin here on the Group W bench far away from all the Nice
>Ladies.

Want a cushion? I have several- I haven't been a Nice Lady for years- I
spend a lot of time over here...

:-D)
'Lainie