[Sca-cooks] Re: Arms, OT...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 4 23:53:52 PDT 2002

 >Wow, that was really bad grammar on my part....  Sorry, it's the Southerner
 >in me...  J/K...  But I am artistic, and I still cannot draw a Fleur de lis
 >florency to save my life!  Is there like a heraldry computer program
 >somewhere, so I can print my arms and get them submitted?

About twelve years ago I was working on a similar project. I wanted to
develop a common library of heraldic charges and basic backgrounds
and such and make them available for use with paint programs. Then you
could sit down and quickly paste together a design. Don't like gules?
click, click and that area is now blue. Want two charges on a bend
rather than one? click, click done.

Unfortunately, I was doing this on an Amiga computer and the rest of
the world was on Macs which only had b + w or on PCs which have
  only crude graphics if that and there was no common graphics
interchange format.

I've kept expecting someone to do this in the intervening years.
Today, I'd still want that common interchange format and I'd want
to do it with vector graphics so things could easily be scaled
instead of simple bit graphics.

Like the Florilegium, the idea would be to use the willing expertise
of the SCA folks to build up a library of freely distributable
heraldic art pieces after I'd gotten it going.

Well, if anyone wants to take this on, I will offer space on the
Florilegium website to hold this library.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net