Grapefruit... (was RE: RE. [Sca-cooks] Good News from Drakey

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Sep 5 08:49:32 PDT 2002

> > They aren't???  They weren't growing *anywhere* in our time period?
> > If not, where were they developped?  When?
>
>See http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/grapefruit.html for
>all the details.

Cool site.

At first glance, it says:
"The grapefruit was first described in 1750 by Griffith Hughes who called
it the "forbidden fruit" of Barbados."

Which to me only means that it was first written about in 1750 by
europeans.  To me, it doesn't mean that they didn't exist 150-200 years
prior to that.  Of course, showing evidence of its existence prior might be
a problem, but then, disproving its existence might be just as hard.

I guess it comes down to what we call "period"...  When someone asks me if
this or that is period, I can't help and ask period for which part of the
world and which timeframe.  What's period to 1550 England probably isn't
period for 1225 Russia...

I'd have to look into it more to really come down to a hard position on
this, but at this point, I'm not willing to take "grapefruit isn't period"
at face value.  :-)

And no, i'm not about to do that research just yet, have other cats to
skin...  (then cook with a grapefruit and spinach and pine nut stuffing,
accompanied by a citrus and olive oil emulsion sauce, and not worry about
the periodness of it!  <wink>)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry