[Sca-cooks] Starbucks

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Fri Sep 6 15:38:34 PDT 2002

At 11:05 AM 9/6/02 -0400, you wrote:

>> > But... <splutter!!!> how can you eat fried Smithfield Ham without
>> > red-eye gravy???
>>
>> You scoop up some of the pineapple and brown sugar out of the pan and put
>> it on top?
>>
>> -- Jadwiga, who yes, has been known to throw in brown sugar and/or
>> pineapple when frying ham... though the last time I did it I used lemon
>> juice and candied ginger (and served it with parnsips with five-spice
>> butter...)

       The Smithfield ham is still cured the way Virginia country hams have
been cured for hundreds of years (and English country hams even longer).
What this means is they are heavily salted and even if pre soaked and boiled
(as they were in the 18th century) they still taste heavily of salt.  I
mention this because I think you would find that the salt would not sit well
with all that sugar in pineapple.  Far better for a sugar or honey cured ham.

(Twenty minutes (not including the ferry trip) from Smithfield
Ranald de Balinhard,
Ron Carnegie
r.carnegie at verizon.net
	"The poetry of history lies in the quasi-miraculous fact that
	 once on this earth, on this familiar spot of ground walked
	 other men and women as actual as we are today, thinking
	 their own thoughts, swayed by their own passions but now
	 all gone, vanishing after another, gone as utterly as we
	 ourselves shall be gone like ghosts at cockcrow."
				G.M. Trevelyan