[Sca-cooks] Chinese sausages

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 8 01:11:59 PDT 2002

Adamantius replied to me with:
> Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>Because of comments earlier on this list, I bought a pair of
>>packages of these chinese sausages a while ago at an Asian
>>grocery. While I don't believe these need refrigeration, which
>>is one reason I wanted to try them, I've kept mine in the refrigerator.
>>
>>Anyway, I was just going to eat these right out of the package. Do
>>you have any other recommendations on how to eat these?

Thanks for the various suggestions. Some of those I don't currently
have the ingredients for, but even the ingredients sound interesting
such as the "shredded zha toy (salted mustard knobs, sometimes rolled
in powdered chili)"

> They are, however, high
> in sugar, which makes them prone to burn and also something a
> diabetic should be aware of. Maybe the package says something about
> carb content that'll help you get the perspective for this?
Oh! This hadn't crossed my mind. I usually thing of meats as being

mostly protein not carbohydrates. Thanks, I'll take a closer look
at the package info.

> My favorite method is just to steam them on top of a pot of white
> rice. Chinese rice is often cooked, at least when they're not using a
> rice cooker, by covering the washed rice with water by a depth of
> half an inch or so (depending on the size, depth, etc., of your pot,
> the amount of rice, and so on), boiling until the water is
> evaporated/absorbed and you can actually hear the rice beginning to
> stick to the bottom of the pot -- it sounds like old rice crispies
> commercials -- and placing the sausages directly on top of the rice,
> covering the pot, lowering the heat to minimal, and coming back in 20
> minutes or so. The fats and juices from the cooking sausage will have
> soaked into the rice, flavoring it nicely, and the sausages will be
> cooked through.

This sounds like a good one to try since I have rice. But if you are
placing the sausages on top as the rice is beginning to stick to
the bottom of the pot, isn't it just going to get worse and burn?
Or is that enough grease from the sausage that gets down to the pan
surface fast enough to unstick this rice and keep it from burning?

Or do these juices just flavor the top portion of the rice and you

end up throwing out what sticks to the pan?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net