[Sca-cooks] Chinese sausages

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Sep 7 04:26:39 PDT 2002

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Because of comments earlier on this list, I bought a pair of
>
>packages of these chinese sausages a while ago at an Asian
>grocery. While I don't believe these need refrigeration, which
>is one reason I wanted to try them, I've kept mine in the refrigerator.
>
>Anyway, I was just going to eat these right out of the package. Do
>you have any other recommendations on how to eat these?

They're good sliced and frizzled up a bit in fried rice (they're
obviously rich in fat, which is quite flavorful, and an excellent
"fried rice" fat; essentially a cooking oil). They are, however, high
in sugar, which makes them prone to burn and also something a
diabetic should be aware of. Maybe the package says something about
carb content that'll help you get the perspective for this?

They're also good chunked and steamed with chicken pieces, soaked
dried lily buds, soaked Chinese dried black mushrooms, and shredded
zha toy (salted mustard knobs, sometimes rolled in powdered chili),
with the chicken briefly marinated in light soy, chopped ginger,
white pepper, garlic or scallion, a little bit of cornstarch, and a
dash of peanut or sesame oil. You just steam it all in a heatproof
dish until the chicken is tender.

Some people wrap them in the leavened dough for steamed or baked buns.

My favorite method is just to steam them on top of a pot of white
rice. Chinese rice is often cooked, at least when they're not using a
rice cooker, by covering the washed rice with water by a depth of
half an inch or so (depending on the size, depth, etc., of your pot,
the amount of rice, and so on), boiling until the water is
evaporated/absorbed and you can actually hear the rice beginning to
stick to the bottom of the pot -- it sounds like old rice crispies
commercials -- and placing the sausages directly on top of the rice,
covering the pot, lowering the heat to minimal, and coming back in 20
minutes or so. The fats and juices from the cooking sausage will have
soaked into the rice, flavoring it nicely, and the sausages will be
cooked through.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER