[Sca-cooks] Butter- how to's and sources

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 8 10:49:31 PDT 2002

You can make butter with an egg beater - I've done it. That's how Mom
taught me what it was, and that's what I did with my preschool class. I
found the children could really see the process better than they could
in the little jars that teaching manuals seem to recommend, and it is
faster, even including the time taken by passing it around for them to
look and take turns beating.

All you do is whip cream, and keep going...  after it sets up, press off
the buttermilk (which bears no resemblance to the cultured commercial
stuff of the same name.)  You can add salt, but it seems a pity if your
cream is really fresh. Do make sure the cream is... One time, all I
could get hold of was the Ultra Pasteurized version near its sell date.
The butter was just slightly rancid... yick.

I presume you can also use an electric beater - I just don't have one.
That would be even faster. Which, of course, is less good if you are
observing the process, though better if you just want butter.

Anne