[Sca-cooks] Butter- how to's and sources

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 7 23:28:44 PDT 2002

=C6thelw=FClf asked:
>     Having read most of the "Butter" messages posted recently
>      they gave me pause to think.......it seems butter is period
>     the "flavoring" of butter is at best argueabley period.
>      My queston is this I guess,did they make butter in period
>       using the "butter churn"? are the Ol' fashioned paddle
>     churns you see on occasion eqivulant to a period churn?
>      do we have any viable sources for churns,I have shopped
>      on line a little and am sometimes flatly perplexed by the
>     prices seen........I mean I am not a cheapskate but c'mon
>      I dont plan on making butter to pay my bills or nuffin'.
>     and Yes Stefan.......I am on the way to the florigelum  ;~)

Okay, you may have already found this file. But yes, we have discussed
period butter churns before. And yes, I believe the one you are
speaking of is one of the period ones.

You don't have to spend a lot of money if you are looking for something
that makes butter rather than something that looks cute sitting in the
corner. You can make butter using a glass jar with a well fitting lid.
It just takes a bit more effort than those with paddles and such.

Anyway, the file is in the FOOD section. Someday I will move the
dairy files off to something like FOOD - DAIRY but haven't yet.

butter-msg       (124K)  8/26/02    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/butter-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net