[Sca-cooks] Mrs Levy again

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 8 20:00:21 PDT 2002

On 8 Sep 2002, at 22:39, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:

> So why do so many people make gefilte fish for Passover using matzoh?
> The implication seems to be that they're making the dish more or less
> Parve by using matzoh (although I've also seen recipes that call for
> challah or other leavened bread).

Gefilte fish for Passover must be made with matzo meal, because
bread crumbs or flour would render it unfit for Passover use.
(Nothing leavened, and nothing that can potentially become
leavened.)

Gefile fish made with challah crumbs would be parve.  A traditional
challah contains eggs but no dairy products, since it is usually
eaten with a meat meal.  Gefilte fish that included bread made with
milk would be a dairy food, not parve.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net