[Sca-cooks] Meadshtufff

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 8 21:13:24 PDT 2002

Drake commented:

> Wait till you've taste the final product...  Yeast has a tendency to
> turn perfectly good apple juice into really nasty cider...
Ummm. Yes it can. Lots of interesting colors and shapes growing in

there. But then, maybe that wasn't yeast.

> Did you use drink apple juice or cider apple juice.  If the former, did
> you balance up the pH by adding more acid?

Oh??? I thought apple juice and apple cider as sold in the grocery

were the same thing. More details on how you would know what you
are getting and how you would change the pH, please.

I've noticed that Central Market and probably other "health food"

stores carry unpasterized, Freshly squeezed apple cider/juice. I'll
probably try this next time instead of the frozen or bottled stuff.

We went out looking at houses this afternoon. When we get to the point

of looking at the insides, I think I will be looking for houses that
aren't carpetted everywhere. So I can do some brewing with less fear
of a major cleanup project if the bottles or fermenter explodes.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net