[Sca-cooks] Mrs Levy again

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Sep 9 04:25:57 PDT 2002

> It may be similar for Jews: you can have meat and fish together
> (according to some) but overall, some might ask (and more's the pity
> if they do), "Why would you want to?"
>
> So why do so many people make gefilte fish for Passover using matzoh?
> The implication seems to be that they're making the dish more or less
> Parve by using matzoh (although I've also seen recipes that call for
> challah or other leavened bread). Are there fish/dairy Seders? I've
> never heard of one... but I suppose it's no worse than a vegan Seder,
> although for me it brings up unpleasant images of the Sacrifice of
> Cain. (Heretic me always thought Cain got a bum rap just 'cause G-d
> likes his meat better than veggies.)

Again, as I learned it, meat and fish may be served at the same meal, just
not in the same dish (or on the same plate).

Using matzoh meal in the gefilte fish makes it Pesadik; fish is pareve
regardless (unless you use a dairy-based breadcrumb).

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: Religions only look different if you get them from a retailer. If you
go to a wholesaler, you'll find they all get it from the same distributor.