[Sca-cooks] Disasters...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 9 10:23:26 PDT 2002

Well...

I've done my share of sewing myself, stabbing myself, cutting myself. I
regularly whack my ankle onteh foot board of the bed at Dad's house (I'm
not there often enough to remember it's there when I go around the corner.
Tape and closed-cell...)

My most fun kitchen disaster involved a batch of mead. I had been making
the small mead that is in the _Miscellany_- from Digby. Had been putting it
up in the 1.5L bottles that my favorite mineral water comes in- one batch
fits perfectly in two bottles. One day I discovered I didn't have those
bottles. Well, I had lots of bottles in the recycle pile, so I pulled out
two cranberry juice bottles, scalded them and used them. They were made of
the same plastic and would be ok- right? Put them under the kitchen sink
like usual, and didn't think about it...

Then one day I heard a gunshot in the kitchen. Before I could peel myself
off the ceiling, there was another. I peeked my head around the corner, and
when I saw the foam coming out from under the cupboard, I knew what had
happened. When I opened the cupboard, I found that the bottles were ok-
yes, the same plastic, and it was fine. But the LIDS had shattered. I was
finding shards of plastic for years. And now the good part...

The force had been so great when they blew, they dented the underside of
the stainless steel sink! Dents that were visible in the sink! Dents that I
could not pound out with my hammer! Oddly, the University never asked about
those dents...

My sweetie make very nice mead. I think I'll leave well enough alone...

'Lainie