Ritual bathing (WAS Re[2]: [Sca-cooks] Mrs Levy again)

Solwerlad fitzlancelot at seznam.cz
Mon Sep 9 10:36:31 PDT 2002

I have seen a [reconstructed] medieval "bathing house" near a
synagogue during an academic
field trip, and it looked like a small wooden building with a sort of
deep hole in the ground inside.  That was filled with water, and the
person needed to go down on a ladder, in order to immerse totally in
the water.  My colleague, who teaches Jewish Studies, told us that,
besides other occasions, men needed to purify themselves also after sleeping
with a woman.

--
Solwerlad.

Car mon pire et mon mieu