[Sca-cooks] injuries

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Sep 9 11:17:52 PDT 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> >Don't pour boiling sugar on yourself!!!!
>
> Oh, you mean like the manager who walked in the kitchen and dipped his
> fingers (despite my repeated request for him to use one of the disposable
> plastic spoons) in my sauces to taste them?  Only the one time he did that,
> it was sugar that I was caramelizing, and it was at the very foamy stage,
> just before starting to turn brown...
>
> He *never* not used a spoon after that!  LOL

My grandfather used to remind us about boiling sugar by pointing out the
scar on his arm that he got when he was in his late teens working for
Charlotte Charles (candy maker in Chicago, not sure if they're in business
anymore or not). Boiling sugar *sticks*. I have thus tried very hard not
to spill it on myself.

This hasn't prevented me from tripping while walking on on flat floors,
going up stairs, going down stairs, slicing the tip of my finger off with
my shiny new knives (in my defense, I'd been using those awful
"laser-sharp" things for a year or so), bashing my head against various
playground structures as a child, getting gashed by various cats, stabbing
myself in the fingers with pins, needles, knives, and the occasional pair
of scissors, burning myself on hot oven coils.

I still drop things all the time, and I'm very good at walking into
doorjambs, but I can honestly say that I have never put a leather awl
anywhere near any of my tender bits. I feel terribly...inadequate,
compared to people like Drakey.

Margaret