[Sca-cooks] armored turnips

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 10 11:18:40 PDT 2002

> i lost my recipe and dcocumentation for armored turnips.... i had gotten it
> after a lovely feast in Bhakail....
> can someone help out here? my hubby wants some and i cant find my recipe

Um. I think I have the recipe you're referring to:

Armored Turnips,
from Platina:

"Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the ashes.
Likewise do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be
smaller morsels than the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter or
liquamen, make a layer of cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and so
on, all  the while pouring in spice and some butter, from time to time.
This dish is quickly cooked and should be eaten quickly, too."

For 25 8x8 trays:

    * 20-25 lbs cheese (combination of muenster, sharp cheddar, and soft
'farmer-style' cheese)
    * 30-40 lbs turnips
    * Pepper
    * Mace
    * 1/2 lb butter
    * Olive oil cooking spray

Instructions:

   1. Cut tops and roots off the turnips
   2. Boil Turnips for  half an hour to 45 minutes, until fork tender (but
not mashable)
   3. Cool turnips, peel and slice into 1/8 - 1/4 " thick slices
   4. Spray bottoms of baking trays with cooking spray
   5. cut slices of cheddar cheese and lay them in the pans to cover the
bottom.
   6. Top with a layer of turnips (with very thin slices of turnips, top
with two layers)
   7. sprinkle with ground mace and pepper
   8. add a few bits of butter (very thin pats maybe 1/2" wide) scattered
over the turnips
   9. cover with a layer of shredded cheese
  10. Repeat the previous 4 steps twice
  11. Bake in a 300-350 degree oven until hot, with cheese melted (crispy
cheese at the corners according to taste).

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."