[Sca-cooks] armored turnips

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Sep 10 14:00:24 PDT 2002

At 02:24 PM 9/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> -who leaves the butter out, or it absolutely swins in grease. Is modern
>> cheddar higher in fat than 'rich cheese'?
>
>Dunno. Depends on how big the chunks of turnip are, I've found, and how
>big the dabs of butter are. I tend not to use cheddar all by it itself
>because I don't like cheddar that much, so I use richer soft cheeses...

Colby is yummy (OOP IIRC), and Meunster- oh MY! My turnip slices are an
eensy shy of 1/4" thick. Made it according to Hoyle (or at least using
Cariadoc's redaction) and 2T of butter was a lot too much. Platina calls
for butter but doesn't say how much. I'm guessing the variables are: how
fat the cheese is, and how porous the turnips are. I think turnips cooked
in the ashes would absorb more butter than turnips boiled, yes?

Hmm. I'm thinking a taste testing is in order...

'Lainie
FWIW, potatoes instead of turnips is really yummy...