[Sca-cooks] some haggis recipes

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 07:06:23 PDT 2002

On 9/10/02 11:38 PM, "Stefan li Rous" <stefan at texas.net>  sat on a tribble,
which squeaked:

> You might also be interested in the haggis recipes (period and non-period) and
> the comments about haggis, in this file in the FOOD-MEAT section of the
> Florilegium:
>
> haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on
> haggis.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/haggis-msg.html

    If I may add some additions to that, namely one Cajun Haggis, two Vegan
Haggis, and one Vegetarian Haggis recipes.

    - Padraig o Connell

Cajun Haggis

1 sheep's lungs (may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 pound fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (steel cut, not rolled oats)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes
and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn
stomach inside out for stuffing. Cover heart and liver with cold
water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30
minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in
a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden.
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture
into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands
in cooking. Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into
boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding
more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach
several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this
keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing
trussing strings.

Vegetarian Haggis

If you buy Vegetarian Haggis in a shop it is usually stickily vile beyond
description. This recipe is really quite good by comparison.

Ingredients

2oz rolled oats
2oz pinhead oatmeal
2oz mixed chopped nuts
2 oz margarine
1 large carrot
4oz mushrooms
1 large onion
small can kidney beans (drained)
2 oz vegetarian suet
1/2 teaspoon yeast extract
1 tablespoon (or more!) whisky
1 teaspoon (at least) freshly ground black pepper
juice 1/2 lemon (or 1 lime)
3 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs

Method

Melt half the margarine in an ovenproof saucepan / casserole.

Add oats, oatmeal and nuts and cook for 3 minutes. Put in bowl.

Chop carrot, mushrooms onion and kidney beans finely.

Melt rest of margarine, add chopped veg, and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients, and the oat mixture.

Cook for 5 minutes.

Transfer to medium oven for 40 minutes.

Or:

Vegan Haggis (1)

Anathema to the traditionalists but hey - why not?

Ingredients

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic (not very Scottish but you need to make up for all the
meaty bits)
2 carrots
1 turnip
2 bay leaves
1 tin red kidney beans, drained
4 oz cooked red lentils
3 oz chopped walnuts
4 oz medium oatmeal
2 large tablespoons vegan margarine
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbs dried thyme
1 tbs dried parsley
1 pinch of mace or ground nutmeg.

METHOD..
Simmer bay leaves, carrot and swede in water until soft. Drain and mash
(keep water for stock).
Fry onion with garlic in margarine until onion is translucent.
Add oatmeal, cook for couple of minutes.
Add stock cube dissolved in some of the stock.
Finally add mash, beans, lentils and everything and give a good mix stir.
Add salt and pepper until it tastes right. If it seems a bit dry you could
add a little splash of whisky.

Vegan Haggis  (2)

ingredients

65 g / 2 oz rolled oats
65 g / 2 oz oatmeal
65 g / 2 oz mixed chopped nuts
65 g / 2 oz margarine
1 large carrot
125 g / ? lb mushrooms
1 large onion small can kidney beans (drained)
65 g / 2 oz vegetarian suet
Pinch yeast extract
1 T whisky (or more)
1 t freshly ground black pepper (or more)
Juice 1 lemon (or 1 lime)
3 t of dried mixed herbs

method

1. melt half the margarine in an ovenproof saucepan / casserole.
add oats, oatmeal and nuts and cook for 3 minutes. put in bowl.
2. chop carrot, mushrooms onion and kidney beans finely (food
processor very handy here). melt rest of margarine, add chopped
veg, and cook for 2 minutes. add the rest of the ingredients, and
the oat mixture. cook for 5 minutes.
3. transfer to medium oven for 40 minutes.

traditionally, serve with "bashet neeps" (mashed swede) and
"mashet tatties" (mashed potatoes) and copious amounts of whisky.
also goes well with roast onions (put in the oven 10 minutes
before the haggis). the fat content can be reduced by halving (or
removing) the suet. if this is done, check it isn't getting too
dry, and add some veggie stock if neccessary.

"Why aren't more of our leaders gifted with at least the intelligence and
common sense of your average post-seizure teacup poodle? "