[Sca-cooks] some haggis recipes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Sep 11 08:15:54 PDT 2002

Also sprach Patrick McKinnion:
>Cajun Haggis

I was a little surprised to note that there doesn't seem to be
anything in Cajun Haggis that isn't frequently in ordinary haggis,
except for Cayenne pepper. I figured a little garlic, maybe some
thyme, might make it more demonstrably Cajun, instead of merely hot.
Not that I'll complain about hot, mind you; I'm of the opinion that
all haggis should be at least slightly hot: most of the failed haggis
I've encountered has been the result of the cook forgetting that
they're making a sausage, and seasoning accordingly. Or rather,
non-accordingly.

It might be interesting to compare that to the recipe I found online
for Cajun Boudin Blanc, which is a pretty similar mix of meats (okay,
pork liver and muscle meat, sans lights, but then the heart is muscle
meat anyway), cooked pretty similarly as for haggis, with
stock-cooked rice, onions, and spices mixed into the ground meat,
then stuffed into sausage casings...

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/boudin.html

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."